Behold, outtakes from the "4 Weeks" photo shoot:
She didn't love it. I think we'll cheat and try again tomorrow. Hopefully by then Miss Grumpyonesie will have finished her growth spurt. All Tess seems to do the past couple of days is eat, fuss to eat more and pass out from all the fussing, eating and - apparently - growing. She's like a very small Incredible Hulk - overnight she's busting out of most of the "newborn" size clothes that she used to swim in and nearly fitting into the very large diapers that Matt recently accidentally bought. I'm hoping to make it to our hospital's lactation support group tomorrow morning for a weigh-in to see if she's gained. Until we have hard data, here's further photographic proof that the awesome baby chub is taking over the face and body:
Onward! Do you ever get the feeling you're being watched?
Lots of people have asked how our first baby, Rufus, is adjusting to Tess' arrival. Until recently, it had been pretty touch and go. Rufus has anxiety issues anyway (yes, I'm serious and yes, I know he's just a dog), so a screeching, puking, farting blob usurping him in the food chain was the last thing he needed. He spent the first week of Tess' life at home literally just standing there staring at her. He refused to sit and remained erect and vigilant until we all went upstairs to bed and he - I always imagined - tipped over in relief and passed out. Recently, however, he's started to chill out and come around to his little sister. He's very concerned with her well-being and usually beats me to the swing if she's crying to give (in his mind, I'm sure) comforting licks. She's started to notice him, too, although it's hard not to given his constant presence. I think these two will be good friends.
Tess is coming along in so many tiny ways. Her head and neck strength is insane. She sort of boycotts any official attempts on my part at tummy time and just lays there face down on her playmat squawking like a parrot, but when she's being held she lifts her head up and supports it on her own for minutes at a time. She grabs fingers and has even held items for a few seconds. One of the funniest and coolest things she's started doing is purposefully sticking her feet in Matt's beard when he's holding her and wiggling her toes:
I think she must dig the texture? She does it every time without fail.
We're continuing to stay busy. I'm going to try to make it, as I mentioned, to our local lactation support group, which is followed by a mommy group. I've never been much of a joiner so this is a little nerve-wracking for me, but I feel like the potential benefits are major. The grandparents continue to log tons of amazing time with the wee one. We had visits from Nana, Nonno and Meme this week, which have been super fun and hugely helpful for me as they've involved the opportunity to nap or run errands. This coming weekend will be a packed one - Tess is attending her first birthday party! Amelia, the sweet sweet baby daughter of our friends Beth and Will is turning one. Tess will finally meet her uncles Michael and Albert, who are visiting from New York. And we're so excited to introduce Tess to my stepbrother, Tyler, who just got back from his semester abroad in Barcelona. Lots more fun pictures to follow.
she continues to get more gorgeous every day! and it sounds like you've got it all in hand, mama! so glad to hear it. i'm praying that mother nature and/or the gods of flu bugs stop putting obstacles in my way to seeing you two! hugs to you all! xoxo
ReplyDelete